It would be undoubtedly a great news for them who bought the Ultimate Collector’s Millennium Falcon set at £342 in 2007 as the price of this popular toy has reached nearly £3,000 as it is being sold on eBay now. This indicates the rising of the value of certain kits around 12 per cent in the past 15 years where the gold price is lowering down by 9.6 per cent.
As soon as the LEGO prices go out of the production, the value of the second-hand LEGO sets those are kept in perfect condition has been greatly increased. Along with the last year’s release, certain modern LEGO sets are performing strongly as these are being sold with 36 per cent hike from their original prices.
It is true that the practice of buying LEGO with the purpose of selling them later indicates the potential deprivation of a group of people from the opportunity to buy them. It is undoubtedly an unpleasant practice for some people. But keeping on mind the raising price of LEGO and its valuable service of the resellers on its ‘retired’ sets are profitable option when there are some people who are ready to pay for them.
The Most Valuable Sets of LEGO
As per the trend of increasing price of LEGO, it has been noticed the bigger and rarer sets worth the most. But since the range of LEGO is being frequently refreshed, any older set that is large enough, can be priced upwards as £1,000.
In the top price list of LEGO, the popular set of Star Wars has been reported to sell eight times higher with the winning bids of £2,712 on eBay and other relevant websites.
In the list, the second position is occupied by Café Corner, the popular set whose price has been ascended from £89.99 of 2007 to £2,096 in 2015 with the whopping of 2,230%.
Another popular LEGO set is the Taj Mahal of 2008 which is consisted of about 6,000 pieces. Its price has risen from £199.99 to £1,848.
Therefore, it is the time for investment in LEGO, as it seems to be more profitable than investment in shares and gold.
Seven Tips for Investment in LEGO:
- In someone is really interested about particular LEGO set, it is suggested to buy two sets- one for building up and another for rainy day saving. Even some of the used LEGO sets can reach higher price than their original retail prices. So storing some large and exclusive LEGO sets for future resell can be proved profitable.
- In the secondary market for LEGO, the limited edition as well as seasonal sets usually get good price. The rarer the set is the better profit it gives.
- Generally, the LEGO investments have started after 1999. Therefore pre-2000 sets cannot be a good investment option. While some vintage sets people preserve for viable collections, most of them confirm a flat value as their condition is very poor.
- The LEGO pieces, boxes and their instructions should be kept in the excellent condition and these should be preserved properly in order to get higher reselling price.
- Mini figures in LEGO are very valuable.